HistoryThe JUS is the brain child of the region’s first qualified Urologist, Professor L. Lawson Douglas. The society was formed on the 30th of April 1993, based on the recognition for the need of an association that would bring Urologists together under a central structure. The aim was to harness the talents and ideas of its individual members and in so doing, perpetuate a culture of excellence in the treatment of urological diseases. It is a non-profit organization.
The founding members were:
- Professor L. Lawson Douglas - President
- Dr. Hope Russell - Vice President
- Dr. Robert Wan - Secretary
- Dr. Mark Cadogan - Treasurer
- Dr. Trevor Tulloch
- Dr. Keith Wedderburn
- Dr. Carol Rattray - Associate member
The serving Presidents have been:
- 1993 - 1995 : Professor Lawson Douglas
- 1995 - 1997 : Dr. Hope Russell-Dunn
- 1997 - 1999 : Dr. Robert Wan
- 1999 - 2001 : Dr. Keith Wedderburn
- 2001 - 2003 : Dr. Mark Cadogan
- 2003 - 2005 : Dr. William Aiken
- 2005 - 2008 : Dr. Trevor Tulloch
- 2008 - 2010 : Dr. Richard Mayhew
- 2010 - Present: Dr. Leroy Harrison
Since its inception, the JUS has hosted Annual Symposiums with the participation of speakers from around the world who are recognized experts in their fields. These conferences are well supported by the medical fraternity in Jamaica and the Caribbean. The conferences provide a forum for continuing medical education and allow the exchange of ideas among Urologists from Jamaica, the Caribbean and the World.
The Annual Banquet in 2011 (February 26th) saw the inaugural delivery of the JUS Achievement Award to Professor L. Lawson Douglas, who is a founding member and the first President of the Society.
The JUS is an affiliate of the Medical Association of Jamaica. The JUS works closely with the Jamaica Cancer Society; of which, several members of the JUS have been longstanding volunteers for its Prostate Cancer Screening program. The JUS also collaborates closely with the Jamaica Cancer Society in staging one of its major annual fundraising events: 'Doctors on Stage', which is a major source of funding for this important non-profit organization.
The JUS has grown significantly since 1993 with a current membership of twenty-six (26) Doctors, inclusive of our Resident (trainee) members.